Saturday 23 January 2010

13 - The Fifth Element

I watched The Fifth Element again last night and decided that should I have to live in any film, as tempting and cool as The Fifth's Element's looks, I probably wouldn't.

What I love about the film is that it's undeniably camp and it's funny and it's dark and it keeps crossing the line between cool and tacky in that unmistakable Luc Besson fashion. What results is that everything in the film looks cool and appealing and yet, if you really think about it, the world of The Fifth Element is a pretty dire place.

Korben's apartment, though cool and compact, is tiny and miles above the ground implying severe overcrowding. The buildings rise up into the sky with cars roaring past all around and down below, the world's covered in a thick fog and looks as seedy as hell.

Random shots of Zorg's business empire show a depressing, industrial scene-scape and pretty much everyone in the film seems to be suffering from a severe overdose of energy and personality.

Still, I'd definitely go for a ride in Korben's taxicab, seeing as it's one of the coolest cars in film history. Also I'd love to have takeaway turn up to my apartment in a flying boat. In fact, yeah I'd definitely live in The Fifth Element.

No comments:

Post a Comment